Thursday, March 3, 2011

Taekwondo and action movies

This week has been my first week without a Spanish class during the day. I've been really enjoying sleeping in. Although, surprisingly, I can only bring myself to sleep in until 8 or 8:30. Here's to becoming an old woman.

In the mornings I've been studying Spanish during the time I would normally have class. Today I went to Veritas and read the newspaper. I learned a lot of new words. At this point I feel like vocab is my main hurdle. I'm pretty quick with the conjugations while I speak, but a lot of times I don't know good story-telling verbs. 

Last night, Kristi, our neighbor, our new roommate Miranda and I went to Taekwondo class. The taekwondo class was taught by Jose (Myrna's brother) in his living room. It was a really good class because he's a black belt and actually teaches taekwondo quite regularly. After the class Kristi and I went to a two for one movie night and saw the movie "Unkown" or "Desconocido" as they call it here. It was really entertaining. It was my favorite type of movie: action with a little bit of government conspiracy thrown in there so you have to think. Overall, it wasn't that great compared to the Bourne movies (it was set in Berlin) but it was the exact movie I was in the mood for. It wasn't too long either (always good when you've inherited the sitting abilities of Valery Cochran).

At 1 A.M last night I was sitting in bed reading and I felt my bed start shaking and it felt like we were on the verge of an earthquake. Turns out that it was just a tremor (second tremor in a week). So let's hope they stay small! I was surprised that my bed actually started shaking. I imagine that if it had happened in Seattle Kiro 7 eyewitness news would be all over it. 

OTHER BIG NEWS! On Monday I will be hanging out with none other than SARAH FREEMAN and possibly traveling with her. I'm really excited. Myrna invited her to eat over here which I think will be really fun. I'm hoping we can go to some museums because I haven't had a chance to go to many in San Jeezy. 

Tonight after dinner Miranda wanted to take pictures of her new surroundings so we all congregated in the living room. I was really full after eating 3.5 Maduros*, so I whispered to Myrna that I was really full and it was going to look like I got pregnant in Costa Rica. She started laughing at me then put her arm around my shoulder and put her other arm around my stomach so it was resting on my hip, covering my stomach (kind of like a prom picture). Then she said "there, now they can't see".

 Thanks Mama Myrna.

*Maduros are kind of like fried bananas although they're not really fried, they are cooked in the microwave. They have butter, sugar, and cinnamon on them. They are probably one of my favorite foods. It should be noted that eating 3.5 Maduros = 3.5 full bananas.

Tonight I'm at kind of a low point because I have a "menstruation migraine" as Val-pal dubbed it. I turned off all the lights in the room, put ear plugs in, and put a pillow over my head for about two hours. And showered by flashlight to avoid any exposure to light. Woo! Hopefully this is gone by this weekend.

Speaking of which, this weekend I'm going to our friends host family's cabin. I do not know what I'm getting in to. I'm sure there will be an interesting blog post next week.

T- 12 dias hasta que Mateo llegue a Costa Rica! Que emocion! 

1 comment:

  1. I want to see how effective Myrna's strategy was for cover-up.....how about posting that pic if you can get it from your new roomie? Okay, Monkey-Ray?

    ReplyDelete