Sunday, January 2, 2011

First Day

So getting to Costa Rica was a fun adventure. The flight to Pheonix was really nice because everyone got their own row of seats. The flight to San Jose, however, was a bit less comfortable. The guy on my left was practicing his dominant body posture and left himself a lot of elbow room which included occupying both arm rests. Que mal. The girl to my right was a native Costa Rican, but she had blonde hair and pale skin. She went to school (including university) in Costa Rica, but is currently living in Vancouver. You would not guess her background because she was completely fluent in English. We made friends and she told me about Costa Rica and it was really interesting talking to someone who was completely fluent in English and Spanish. My host Mom is really really nice so far. She has a son (Luis Diego) who is my age and studying math at Yale. She's really proud of him (as she should be). As I was eating dinner tonight I heard her exclaim "QUE LINDA!!!" (how cute). I looked over at her and saw her eyes fixed on the water bottle with pictures of me and Matt on it. She picked it up and was ooh-ing and ah-ing for several minutes.
My roommate is really cool which is very nice. She's really easy going and I'm excited about that. Speaking Spanish is really fun. I definitely need practice, but I'm holding my own really well. The city of San Jose is definitely not the most pristine place I've ever seen, but I'm counting on my weekend excursions to make up for that. For now, it is time for bed.
Buenas noches

1 comment:

  1. Good news Rachel! We're following along. As you're ramping up on Spanish, BTW, Kelsey is becoming a very competent (self-taught) whistler, so you're both learning important skills...

    ReplyDelete