Wednesday, February 16, 2011

El fin de semana pasado and LIFE

This weekend Jen and I took a romantic getaway for two to Jaco beach (we also went there last weekend). Jaco is the closest beach to San Jose. We decided last minute to book a hotel room. We had a lot of fun. It was really relaxing and stupendous. I put on SPF 55 but managed to collect several more freckles.

Also, I really love my conversation class. I think my conversation teacher makes up a lot of activities on the fly, but they're always really fun. On Tuesday, for example, we had one of our 10 minute oral presentations. He told us not to prepare, so everyone showed up to class ready for anything. It turns out, we were working on direction words like "aqui, aca, alli, ahi, alla" and words like "este, esta, esto, ese, esa, eso, aquel, aquellos, aquellas, etc". So, our teacher divided Veritas into nine parts (9 people in the class) and pretended he was an Asian tourist named Oochi-ming. It wasn't very politically correct, but it was really funny regardless. He pretended to be absolutely clueless about Costa Rica and all Spanish vocabulary, so we would stop at random places during the "tour" and he would point to very random objects and ask what the word was. It was definitely the most entertaining way to learn those words.

So class is going really well, but I'm being driven insane by our neighbor. Here's her deal: She went to Costa Rica last summer with CEA, but she decided to return for 6 months (Jan-July). I'm still not sure if she lived in Myrna's house when she went with CEA, but she lived here (Myrna's house) for the first three days that I was here, until Kristi (our other roommate) switched into our homestay. At that point, she moved into our neighbors upstairs apartment where she lives now. As of now, she's taking online classes with her university and does a lot of nothing all day. The issue is that she comes over to our house EVERYDAY ALL DAY to do a lot of her sitting around doing nothing. She also happens to be the biggest mooch in the history of the universe. She eats every meal of the day here, and Myrna cooks dinner for her everyday. We have a small house, so her presence is not something that can really be ignored. She occupies the same couch on the living room the entire day and does not move. Myrna was complaining to me and my other roommates about her, but I think she's too nice to say anything.

Anyway, she really bothers Myrna's brother Jose. I get the feeling Jose feels like Myrna is being taken advantage of and feels protective.

I think I'm going to say something to my neighbor very soon because I know she's stressing out Myrna. I don't know how to tactfully approach this. I think I'm so annoyed right now I couldn't possibly say anything nice. She is so aggravating. She's also really mean and not very smart, and very selfish. She doesn't lift a finger to help Myrna. She's just the biggest mooch ever. Okay. Done.

Moving on...

My roommate Kristi is a fantastic runner, and I've been really enjoying going on runs with her because she completely kicks my ass every time. We also have really good conversations. At first I thought she was immature, but I really admire her at this point. She's been working since she was 15 to pay for this trip, and has a really positive attitude about it. She also grew up in a big family so she's really good at going with the flow. I feel bad because I had a different impression of her at first, and to a certain extent I think she does have qualities that could become frustrating, but for the most part, I really enjoy her company.

Tonight at dinner Myrna started crying because she was telling us about a story her Aunt sent her. It was some form of chain mail (which is a little bit funny) about a father who had to work all day and night. He would leave the house when his kids were still asleep, and come home and they were still sleeping. Every night when he got home, he gave them a kiss on the forehead. Then, he would tie a knot on the corner of their blankets, so they knew he had checked on them. As Myrna was telling us about this story she really started crying. It wasn't just a few sniffles, she recovered quickly, but for a few seconds her head was buried in her hands and she was definitely crying. After she gained her composure she told us the story really hit home because after her husband died, she had to work long hours and would leave the house before her kids were awake and came home when they were asleep. During this time, she gave every single one of them a kiss on the forehead before she went to bed. It was a very touching moment.

Okay, that's all for now!

Also, JUDE: I can't stop reading thoughtcatalog. Jen and I have been reading it all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment