Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Machistas

Un problema: Veritas has pick up soccer games arranged for international soccer students at the neighborhood park. Recently, however, the Tico men have started to play. It's increasingly apparent they have a serious problem with girls playing (especially because the girls are on their level of play). It's starting to get frustrating because they invade the field and get extremely physical with the girls and show no mercy. I don't mind people who play within the realm of soccer rules, but these boys are physical even with the gringo men. Generally, I don't like to be treated like I'm very delicate on the field when I play against boys, but these guys take it to a whole new level.

Today, I felt slightly better about the situation when I scored against one of the machistas by shooting the ball between his legs. It was interesting to see his reaction. He yelled "PUTA MAE" really loudly and aggressively. And the next time he missed a shot when I was on defense he made sounds of brooding frustration and almost sounded like he was growling. Anyway, these guys kind of seem like wife beaters. I hope that playing soccer with females who are better than them will teach them something about gender equality and appreciation.

2 comments:

  1. Don't have my dictionary handy: Puta Mae -- is that f me in Spanish? It sounds like Portuguese......M/V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mae is slang for dude/man/bro. Costa Rican teens/ twenty-something males use it like valley girls use 'like'. Possibly more. You have to hear it to believe how much it's used in conversation. It's also amusing to ask an elderly Costa Rican to do an impression.

    ReplyDelete