Thursday, February 17, 2011

"Immersion" activity

Today I walked in to class a little late after the break, and all I heard my teacher say was "now write 10 questions using the vos format" (vos is a verb form used instead of "tu" in Central America). Anyway, I scribbled my 10 random questions and when everyone was done my teacher said "Bueno, vamos afuera para esta actividad". I realized then that our questions were intended for students of Veritas. So, my teacher picked up on the fact people were feeling particularly bashful about this activity, and he walked each of us individually to students and introduced us. I ended up being the last person to walk over to my student (I'll explain why this is weird later).

Ronulfo (my teacher) sat me down next a Tico named Javier. So I introduced myself and asked him if I could ask a few questions. I started asking my questions, not realizing the message I was sending. My questions built on themselves in a way I did not anticipate. The conversation went as follows:

1. What's your name?
2. Do you have a girlfriend?
3. Do you live in San Jose?
4. Have you eaten lunch yet?
5. If you had time, would you go to POPs icecream right now?
6. Do you like to dance?
7. What type of dance is your favorite?
8. Do you like Costa Rican women?
9. Do Machistas annoy you?
10. Are you going out tonight?

Okay so in the end, it looked like I asked my teacher to introduce me to Javier. It only became worse when I start asking him mildly provocative questions. And inquiring about his love life.

Oh well!

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,,,

    You left out an important part of the tale: how did he respond to your questions? What about machistas? Veritas students are not machistas, right? What was the answer?

    Inquiring Mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was generally fine. Nothing out of control. How's that for an ambiguous answer?

    ReplyDelete